Director of Finance
To provide administrative assistance and direction in the overall operation of assigned departments: finance/accounting, casino cashiers/credit, planning and analysis, materials management, property operations, security and regulatory compliance; to ensure the most efficient and profitable operation and the maintenance of high standards of quality and service.
- Minimum of 4 years college, degree in Accounting, MBA or CPA preferred.
- Broad knowledge of casino and hotel internal and accounting controls, policies and procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Organization, communication, administrative and managerial skills.
- Diversified finance or accounting background with at least 3 years experience in a hotel/casino finance related position at a managerial level.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Excellent financial analysis skills required.
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically and perform competitive analysis is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required
- Excellent motivational ability required creating high levels of customer satisfaction.
Essential Job Functions:
To provide administrative assistance and direction in the overall operation of assigned departments: accounting, casino cage, planning and analysis, purchasing, facilities, security, regulatory compliance, credit; to ensure the most efficient and profitable operation and the maintenance of high standards of quality and service.
Responsible for the operations of areas of responsibility through assigned department heads and supervisors; counseling, guiding and instructing them in the proper performance of their duties.
Responsible for the training and development of all subordinate supervisors including preparation for promotion.
Inspect and review all operations and confer with department heads and supervisors as required, to assure efficient utilization of manpower and facilities.
Control expenses in assigned departments and check profit and loss statements daily.
Responsible for seeing that job descriptions and job procedures are written for all positions in the departments supervised and that each employee has read and understands them.
Plan, develop and implement revised procedures to improve the efficiency and profitability of assigned areas.
Responsible for seeing that the Merit Program is properly administered in the departments supervised, and that periodical performance reviews are prepared for all employees, including those who report to him.
Coordinate, improve and recommend training programs, assure effective implementation of training programs initiated by the Senior Vice President - General Manager.
Be aware of competitive operations (internal practices, gaming procedures, customer promotions) and recommend appropriate action.
Responsible for morale in all departments reporting to him, working closely with Employee Relations and taking corrective action as needed to maintain good morale.
Establish and maintain effective channels of communications upward, downward and laterally.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Conduct self always in a manner that reflects credit on Harrah’s and encourage other to do the same.
Title 31 and SARC Reporting:
Ensures that departments overseen have appropriate procedure and employee training in-place to track transactions pursuant to Title 31 and;
Has knowledge of Title 31 and the NIGC MICS pertaining to Currency Reporting.
Authority and Supervisory Capacity
Reports directly to the Senior Vice President - General Manager.
Complete authority and responsibility over accounting, casino cage, planning and analysis, purchasing, warehouse, retail, risk management, credit and collections through subordinate department managers and supervisors.
Approves check cashing within authorized levels.
Physical, Mental & Environmental Demands:
- Proven ability to think through abstract, complex problems.
- Proven ability to write persuasively.
- Proven ability to analyze complex data to determine a future course of action.
- Ability to keep focused attention on abstract, complex data for long periods of time.
- Ability to navigate through the casino floor and back of house areas to attend meetings with employees and to host customers.
- Ability to walk, stand, and converse with large numbers of customers and employees for long periods of time.
- Ability to travel to different cities.
- Ability to work over 10 hours per day with few breaks in a very stressful, smoke-filled environment.
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in stressful situations.
Harrah’s reserves the right to make changes to this job description whenever necessary. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Preference is given to qualified Buena Vista Me-Wuk tribal members and members of other federally recognized tribes